So this is a blog!

Hello to anyone reading this! This is my blog which I'm writing to look at things that take my fancy with a Christian twist, I am nowhere near the last authority on any of this, that's the Bible, God's word, but I thought I'd share my thoughts so that you might have something to think about or share with friends.

God Bless

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 6: City on a Hill 2

 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. - Matthew 5: 14-16

So now for part 2 of the City on the Hill, now taking a passage from the bible and learning from it, rather than a song that has scriptural basis. To be honest I doubt I need to tell you what this passage is about, but if you can't grasp what this is saying then here you go. This passage tell us that we should not hide our faith or our good deeds done by our faith. At this point the more biblically versed of you are probably thinking "Wait didn't Jesus rebuke the hypocrites for praying in public, then shouldn't we be hiding our good deeds?" Well no, the passage you are referring to (Matthew 6:5) is talking about people who love to be seen by others doing good deeds, they are looking for someone to take notice of what they are doing and to praise them for it. What I am saying is Jesus asks us to not hide them but He doesn't tell us to flaunt them on street corners or look for recognition in people on this world but rather that we don't subtly do good deeds, nor do things in the shadows but rather we are comfortable in ourselves to do those good deeds whether someone sees it or not, essentially do it regardless of there being any reward in any ways.
The other part of this passage is to let our faith shine out, and not to hide it. I suppose this comes with a previous  blog on being courageous and confident in our identity in Christ. We were never told to sit down on our faith and be happy with it, we weren't told that going to church once a week was how it works, what we are told, over and over again, is that our faith and relationship with Christ is eternal and daily. We have to act in it on a everyday basis, we can't sit back and do nothing one day and do a lot another in this relationship, no we have to do something everyday. I know I lack the self discipline to do so but it is something I try to strive for.

Sorry about the shortness and lateness of this post, but I hope you take some of it to heart and God starts working more in our lives.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment