So this is a blog!

Hello to anyone reading this! This is my blog which I'm writing to look at things that take my fancy with a Christian twist, I am nowhere near the last authority on any of this, that's the Bible, God's word, but I thought I'd share my thoughts so that you might have something to think about or share with friends.

God Bless

Friday, June 1, 2012

Are we too God centered?

admission: not really been following my challenge but bible reading and prayer are up compared to usual.
Right on to my main bit.
I went along to a "late" night worship earlier tonight, and I regularly do but I got royally annoyed with it tonight. I couldn't get into the music because I felt the whole thing just wasn't right. I actually left 30 minutes into the hour to sit outside and pray, got sidetracked by chatting to someone about and came into better songs but the annoyance just returned so I left again and sat outside until the end.
To clear a few things up, I love worship, I love song worship but I also pay attention to words. I'm not an English student but I hate it when a message isn't passed on well because the wording isn't quite there. That's why I prefer being Jesus-centered to Cross-centered and the such. There was a song I felt wasn't scripturally right tonight which set me off, in my understanding it was saying that my last hopes are in Christ ("counting on your name") and that I don't fully know He will save me ("i have faith in you"). That lyrics may not be exact, I am attempting to forget the song but those are both repeated in the chorus. I felt they were wrong and I'll explain why. My last hopes are in Jesus, sure, but you know what else is? All my other hopes. Jesus isn't somebody I go to in the end and say "I'm counting on you." He's someone you go up to and say "I put my everything in you, because I know you have already done what needs to be done." Screw counting on Him, He doesn't need us to believe He can save us so that He can save us on the last day. He needs us to believe He HAS saved us.
*excuse the french*
Secondly I don't have faith in Jesus Christ. Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1) I'm not confident in hoping Jesus saved me, I'm confident in knowing Jesus saved me. Rant about song over.
The other part that put me off, I realized on my way home chatting to my housemate. There was too much of a "God has saved me. How great is that?" vibe. I'm not saying that's wrong but there wasn't any "because of this, I shall work for Him" if you  get me. There's a balance between faith and works, tonight didn't have it right, too much on the faith side really. This got me thinking, are we sometimes too God focused/centered?
I want to point out it's great if you are really focused on God, it means your life is pointing the right way but don't lose yourself. However don't get to caught up on you that God doesn't permeate through your life. See God demands it all, He deserves it all but He doesn't want all of you to be Him. This is a  bit risky and strong language but NEVER try and be God, ALWAYS be yourself. That's who God wants. So whilst we can center our lives around God, we shouldn't get too caught up in all that He's doing, has done and will do and miss what He is doing in our lives. I don't want to push the focus back on the I, but rather want it to be on God with a "what's He doing in my life" twist. He may be doing nothing at the moment, perhaps you are exactly where He wants you to be in life but there will probably always be a prompting in your life, a challenge in your life and something that God is doing around you.
I think I'm jumbling up my words, essentially don't be concentrating on God so much that you forget about what He commissioned you to do here on Earth. Always remember that whilst we should be daily offering up our lives to God, this means more than just giving the God the glory in everything you do, but means you should also be doing the things God would do (WWJD?).
I think my message comes through, if you are confused by it or think I'm wrong then comment. I believe you can.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment